The first stone church in Eckerö, which today consists of the longhouse and the vestry in the north east corner, was built in the 13th century in Alandian red granite and was one of the smallest churches in Åland.
The unusually broad tower was built in 1467. The wall paintings came to being during the late Middle Ages. Eckerö Church belongs to the martyr saint Laurentius, or S:t Lars. Most parts of the church are 700 years old. In the church wall an old milestone with Gustav III’s royal cipher can be seen.